Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tomato Eggs

I love Jared's grandpa. He's just the cutest old man, and we became friends pretty quickly over a few games of Settler's of Zarahemla. I don't think I've ever seen him cook anything because Grandma's so good at it, but there is one dish that he always makes when the extended family's over. Tomato eggs. It's basically stewed tomatoes with poached eggs that you put on top of toast. I've had his tomato eggs for breakfast a few times now and I really like them. Tonight I had the inspiration to make them for dinner, so I surprised Jared with it. I don't have Grandpa's recipe so I came up with my own and they turned out pretty good, and pretty similar to his I think. Here's my adaption:

1/2 onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
A couple shakes each of salt, pepper, basil, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes
3 eggs
Toast

Saute the onions in the olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan until the onions are nice and tender. Add the garlic and saute for a couple more minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, and spices and let simmer, uncovered, on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Crack the eggs and gently drop them into the tomato mixture, being careful not to break the yolks. Don't stir anything from this point on. Cover the pot and let it simmer until the eggs are fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile make 3 or 4 pieces of toast. When the eggs are done, dish up an egg with a a good amount of tomatoes onto a piece of toast and enjoy! If you don't like the idea of soggy toast, feel free to eat them separately, it will still be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment